Shared mailboxes are managed and accessed differently than regular generic accounts as there is no username and password that needs to be shared between users.
In order to access a shared email inbox, you need to be a member of the distribution group that allows access into the inbox. The owner of the group can add and remove user access.
- Information required
- Accessing a shared account with the Outlook application
- Accessing a shared account through Outlook web access (OWA)
- Do I have access?
- Getting help
The following information is required to add a shared mailbox to your Outlook client, access the shared mailbox on the internet, or to verify if you have access to the mailbox.
- Full name of the account
- Full email address
- Alias of the account (only required to verify your own access)
All the required information can be found by searching for the shared mailbox in the BCIT global address book. You may need to scroll to the right to see the three columns with the required information.
Access shared account with Outlook
- Open Outlook.
- Click File.
- Click Add Account.
- Complete the form as shown below, with the full name of the shared account, the full email address, and your own network password.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish, click OK, then close and restart Outlook.
- After restarting Outlook a Windows Security prompt may appear asking for a password to login to the shared account. The default username is the email address of the shared mailbox which will not work to login as the shared mailbox does not have its own password. To change the username and login click More choices and then Use a different account, enter your primary email address as the username, your own BCIT password, check the Remember my credentials checkbox, and click OK.
- The additional mailbox will now be listed in the Navigation Pane on the left side of Outlook.
Send an email from the shared account
- Click on New E-mail on the Home tab of the Outlook Ribbon.
- Click on the From dropdown and select the email account you would like to send from.
- Compose your email and press the Send button
Accessing a shared account through Outlook Web Access (OWA)
- Open a web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer) and navigate to https://mail.bcit.ca/
- Login using your usual BCIT credentials.
- Click on your picture icon in the top right corner of the page and click Open another mailbox...
- In the “Open another mailbox” window, type in the email address of the shared email account and click Open
- Outlook Web App will open the shared mailbox in a new browser tab.
- To return to your mailbox simply close the new tab that was opened.
Do I have access?
- You can check if you have access to a shared mailbox by verifying that you are a member of the associated distribution group.
- The distribution groups for shared accounts follow a standard naming convention of BCIT_***_SG, with *** being the alias of the shared account.
- To view all the groups you are a member of, find yourself in the BCIT global address book, double click on your name, and click on the Member Of tab as shown below:
- If you are not a member of the correct distribution group you will need to contact the owner of the group to request access. The owner of the group can be found in the properties of the group in the global address book.