Eduroam is a collaborative network [PDF] that allows students, staff, and faculty to access wireless services at cooperating post-secondary institutions without obtaining a guest account. It allows a user visiting another institution to login using the same credentials they would use at their home institution.
Note: The credentials to log into eduroam use your BCIT ID followed by “@ad.bcit.ca” and your password (e.g. A00123456@ad.bcit.ca).
Setting up a new eduroam connection
1. Right-click on the Network Connection icon at the bottom right of your screen.
2. Click Open Network and Sharing Center from the contextual menu that appears.
3. Click on Set up a new connection or network.
4. Click on Manually connect to a wireless network.
5. Click on Set up a new connection or network.
6. Enter the following information for the eduroam profile:
- Network name: eduroam (Note: must be all lowercase letters)
- Security type: change to WPA2-Enterprise
- Encryption type: change to AES
7. Click Next.
Note: If you get a message that says “A network called eduroam already exists”, you will need to remove that eduroam profile before returning to the start of these instructions.
8. Now that you’ve successfully added eduroam to your network profile list, click Change Connection Settings.
9. Click on the Security tab.
10. Click on Settings.
11. As shown in the diagram below, please perform these steps in the following order:
1. Uncheck the Verify the Server’s Identity by Validating the Certificate checkbox.
2. Uncheck the Enable Fast Reconnect checkbox.
3. Click the Configure button.
12. In the EAP MSCHAPv2 Properties dialog, uncheck the Automatically use my Windows logon… checkbox.
13. Click OK.
14. Now you’re back in the eduroam Wireless Network Properties dialog box. Click the Advanced settings button.
15. In the 802.1X settings tab, perform these steps in the following order:
1. Enable the Specify authentication mode checkbox.
2. Select User Authentication from the drop-down menu.
16. Click the Save credentials button.
17. Click OK or Close on all the open dialog boxes to save all of your settings.
If eduroam doesn’t connect automatically
1. Click on the wireless connection icon at the bottom right of your screen.
2. Select eduroam from the list.
3. Click the Connect button.
4. Enter your BCIT ID followed by “@ad.bcit.ca” and your password.
5. Click the OK button.
6. You should now be connected to eduroam in the list of available wireless connections.
Deleting a previous version of eduroam, if it already exists
Note: These steps should only be performed if you had an existing eduroam connection above.
1. Click on Network Connection at the bottom right of your screen.
2. Click on Network Settings.
3. Click on Manage Wi-Fi Settings at the bottom of the Network & Internet dialog.
4. Under Manage known networks, click on eduroam to select it.
5. Click the Forget button.
6. Return to the start of these instructions to install eduroam properly.