As BCIT prepares to return to campus and in-person instruction and computer lab use in September 2021, it’s necessary to ensure a good transition to using AppsAnywhere to deliver software in those labs. To support that, IT Services has set up a remote test lab environment through Workspace that enables faculty to test that the software they’ve requested will work as expected in computer labs without having to visit the labs physically. This test environment will be available until August 31, 2021.
The test environment is actually a remote connection to the computers in the physical lab in SE12-318, so when you’re testing your software, you’re testing on actual BCIT lab machines.
Reminder: Request needed software!
AppsAnywhere is the default software delivery platform for all academic software at BCIT, including for software that will be used in physical labs. Go to appsanywhere.bcit.ca and check that the software you intend to use is there and the correct version. If not, submit a software request as soon as possible to ensure it’s available for the first day of class.
Connecting to the AppsAnywhere Test Lab and testing your requested software
In your browser:
- Go to workspace.bcit.ca and login.
- Click on Desktops at the top.
- Click on AppsAnywhere Test Lab to launch it.
- After logging in to the test lab computer, Chrome will automatically launch and go to the AppsAnywhere Test site.
- Note: The AppsAnywhere Test site only contains software which has been requested but not yet added to the live student-facing site. To see the full list of already available software, open a second tab in Chrome and go to appsanywhere.bcit.ca.
- Launch and test your software.
- Important: When you’re done testing, sign out of the test lab computer:
- Click on the Windows icon at the bottom left.
- Click on your name next to the BCIT icon at the top of the list of default items.
- Click on Sign out.
We expect that almost all software will work on the lab machines as well or better than it would work on most personal devices, but if you encounter a problem or have a concern about what you’re seeing, send a detailed report of it to email@example.com.