ShareFile offers two methods of sending files and/or folders. You can use the “Email with ShareFile” option or the “Get a Link” option. These methods offer several benefits over the traditional way of emailing attachments.
These benefits include security options such as control over how long a link to the emailed file(s) remains active, how many times the recipient(s) can access the link, and the ability to send larger files. They also include notification options such as sending a copy of the email to the sender and emailing the sender when the file(s) are accessed.
This article explains how to use either method to mail links to files and/or folders using ShareFile. The recipient can then download a copy of the files/folders to their own computer. If more than one item has been sent, the recipient can download each file individually or all at once in a .zip file, which can be extracted to your computer.
Send files and folders using the “Email with ShareFile” option
Email with ShareFile allows you to send an email containing a secure link to files/folders via ShareFile’s email system. The recipient can then download the items to their own computer.
1. Login to sharefile.bcit.ca using the BCIT Students, Faculty & Staff tab. Use your BCIT ID and password.
2. Expand Folders in the column on the left to view Personal Folders.
3. Expand Personal Folders to view your folder structure.
4. Select the files/folders you wish to send from your ShareFile folder. Click the Share button.
5. The browser will display a window with 2 options, “Email with ShareFile” or “Get a Link”. Click Email with ShareFile.
6. Enter the intended recipients’ email addresses or select the Shared Address Book to browse the BCIT address book and select recipients. Once you have added all the recipients, click Add.
- Note that if you select the Share Address Book, it may take a few moments to populate.
7. Once you have entered a Subject and message, you can add more recipients, access further Message Options, and add more files.
8. When you are satisfied with the email and the options, click Send.
The recipient(s) will receive an email indicating that files have been sent to them. The email will contain a Download button and a link to the file(s). Clicking the button or link will open a window in their default browser allowing them to download the file(s).
Send files and folders using the “Get a Link” option
You might wish to generate a link to files/folders that you wish to send, which can then be copied and pasted into another document (for example, a Word document) or an email.
1. Select the files/folders you wish to send from your ShareFile folder. Click the Share button.
2. The browser will display a window with 2 options, Email with ShareFile or Get a Link. Click Get a Link.
3. At the “Get a Link” window, you can add more files or edit the link notification and security settings. Click the Copy Link button to copy the link to your clipboard. This link can then be pasted into an email or other document.
4. Clicking the link in the document (e.g. e-mail, Word document, etc.) will open a window in their default browser allowing them to download the file(s).