Jabber is part of the VoIP applications at BCIT that offers Presence, Instant Messaging (IM), Voice and Video calls, Voicemail access, and desktop sharing into a single product.
This quick guide will highlight the steps required to download and install Jabber version 11.9 on any Windows computer.
You can install Cisco Jabber for Windows on computers with the following specifications
- Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 or later (32 or 64 bit)
- 2 Gig RAM
- DirectX v11 or later
Jabber will be pre-installed on all BCIT Windows computers. If you are setting up Jabber on a BCIT computer, please skip to the Jabber Configuration section now.
If you are installing Jabber on a Personal computer (other than BCIT’s), start at Step 1.
- You will need to have the personal computer activated by completing the online “Jabber Activation” form on the ITS Self Service Portal (under the menu Telecom/Mobile Device) first.
- Note: Every computer will require its own activation.
- Ensure that you are aware of your Computer Type and OS version prior to making the request.
- Once IT Services has activated your computer you will receive an email stating that your Service Request has been completed, you may now proceed to Step 2.
2. Download the file CiscoJabberWin-Install-11.9.2 [LOOP] to your computer.
3. Double-click the saved ZIP file to open it.
4. Double-click the CiscoJabberSetup.msi file to launch the installation.
5. If you are prompted by a Security popup, checkmark “Always Trust software from Cisco…”” on the Security Warning popup and click Install.6. Click Accept and Install at the EULA prompt.7. If you are prompted by User Account Controls to run the installer, click Yes.
8. When the installation is complete, check the box next to Launch Cisco Jabber and click Finish.
This Jabber setup needs to be completed after a new installation of the software or when a Jabber Reset was performed.
- If Jabber isn’t open yet, launch it by double-clicking the Jabber icon on your desktop.
- In the first screen, enter your BCIT ID (A0xxxxxxx@voip.bcit.ca) and click Continue.
- On the second setup screen, ensure your BCIT ID number is in the Username box. Type in your BCIT password, checkmark Automatic sign-in, and click Sign In.
- Jabber should now open and you are ready to start!
The next step is to ensure you can connect to Phone services. This will allow you to control your Cisco desk phone (take and make calls) using Jabber. By default, Jabber should connect to phone services without any changes. Keep in mind that you should be within reach of your Cisco desk Phone before taking and receiving calls this way. Jabber merely acts as a call controller.
Jabber can also act as a softphone where your computer’s microphone and speakers are used for audio. In this instance, you do not need to be by your Cisco desk phone to make calls.
- Click the bottom left phone icon.2. Select Use my computer for calls.3. If connected successfully, the icon will change to a computer. You are now ready to use Jabber for calls from any location.
For further assistance installing or using Jabber, please contact the Technology Service Desk (604-412-7444 – option 1).