Protecting personal and confidential information
Whenever information relating to BCIT business is used outside of the office or the classroom, there is an increased risk of loss or compromise. BCIT is required by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) to keep all personal information in its custody or under its control safe and secure. Refer to quick tips on how to protect personal information when working remotely [PDF].
Video conferencing and collaboration
Zoom is a video conferencing tool for faculty and staff. It’s currently BCIT’s recommended tool for scheduled single and recurring meetings for groups of up to 100 people. It can also be used for impromptu meetings of any length between colleagues, including those “just a quick question” conversations that you might ordinarily walk down the hall for.
Please note: BCIT has a virtual classroom tool (Bongo) built into the Learning Hub that is recommended for online classroom instruction.
To log in to Zoom, in your web browser:
- Go to zoom.bcit.ca.
- Click on the Sign in button.
- You will be redirected to a BCIT login page. Enter your primary BCIT email address and password and click the Sign in button.
For more detailed instructions read about Using Zoom and the BCIT Privacy and Security Etiquette for Zoom.
Secure remote access
myVPN should be the first choice for students, staff, and faculty to connect to BCIT’s secure network to access common resources like printers and shared network drives. and business applications such as Banner and Cognos. myVPN will give you the same experience as if you were on campus connected to the BCIT network.
AccessAnywhere also provides a secure connection to specific BCIT business applications that require elevated access. This is also how our approved external contractors can connect to BCIT resources. If you think you require access to AccessAnywhere complete the AccessAnywhere application form.
For offsite work, BCIT is providing access to the BCIT Staff Virtual Desktop. This is a Windows 10 desktop that runs in our datacenter and will allow you to access your files and other secure applications like Banner and Cognos. This resource is available to all current BCIT faculty and staff.
How to contact the IT Service Desk
- Create a request by using the IT Service Catalogue
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and include your full name and detailed information on the issue.
- Call 604-412-7444 (option 1) or toll-free (Canada and US only) at 800-351-5533 (option 1)
Information to have ready
- Your full name and your BCIT ID (e.g. A01234567).
- Be prepared to describe the problem clearly. What are you trying to accomplish? What exactly is happening (or not happening)? If your computer is displaying an error message, record the exact text of the message.
- If possible, be at the location of the affected computer when you contact us.
- If you are using a BCIT issued computer, the BCIT asset number (look for the BCIT sticker with a barcode)
Other BCIT resources for working remotely
- LTC Help Centre – Information on the Learning Hub and other online learning tools
- HR Employee Supports – Resources available to BCIT employees
- BCIT Be Cyber Aware – Create a Cyber Secure Home