WebEx is part of the BCIT VOIP applications that provides web conferencing, video conferencing, and online meetings services. A WebEx session is ideal to hold online meetings, presentations, training, sales pitches, and demonstrations with internal and external meeting participants. BCIT WebEx servers are on site (not to be confused with Cisco’s hosted WebEx service).
At BCIT, you can easily join a WebEx session right from your Outlook Calendar, the Jabber client on your computer, your mobile devices, or any web browser.
WebEx installation and access
You will need to configure the following components to enable full functionality and integration of WebEx on your Windows computer. Please note that these components can also be installed on home computers.
This section describes how to install the Webex applications on your Windows computer and integrate it with Jabber.
Logging in the first time
- Click the Sign In button found in the IT Services notification or go to https://webexuser.voip.bcit.ca/ from your browser.
- Enter your Username, which is your default Email Address and your BCIT ID password.
- Note: If you are unsure of what your Default Email Address is, in Outlook, select File and review your email address under Account Information.
- The first time you login, you will be prompted for a couple of actions.
- First, confirm your Location information and click Done.
- Secondly, click on Download to obtain the software required to schedule Webex meetings in your Outlook Calendar. Please see the Productivity Tools section below for further instructions on installing this software. Note that you can choose to download these tools later by selecting Download Later.
- When done, click on Start Using Webex!
Updating your Account Profile
- Click on your Name at the top of the page.
- Although not required, you can enter your Address under Personal Information.
- More importantly, enter any phone numbers you may need to be reached at under My Phone Numbers. This will allow Webex to use these devices for audio connections should you need them.
- If you have delegated your Calendar to an assistant who manages your meetings, you will need to grant that person Webex access to your Calendar as well. Type your delegate’s name in the Scheduling Permission section.
- Click Update to save all your changes.
At any point, to return, to the site, you should bookmark WebexUser.voip.bcit.ca/
Setup desktop tools
WebEx can be integrated with your Web Browser, Jabber and Outlook but requires additional configuration as explained below.
This program is the main WebEx client application and it is required to join any session.
You don’t need to perform a separate installation of the software since it should download and install automatically the first time you join a WebEx. When it downloads, simply click Run at the User Account Control prompts and finish the installation wizard. No additional information is required.
Productivity tools (WebEx Assistant)
The Productivity Tools (also called WebEx Assistant) is a program that sits in your System Tray and allows integration of WebEx into Outlook. It is an optional program but highly recommended as it is much easier to manage online meetings using your Outlook Calendar than it is from other interfaces.
This application will need to be installed manually.
- Exit Outlook first.
- If you haven’t downloaded the package yet, login to the https://webexuser.voip.bcit.ca/ as per the earlier instructions.
- Select Downloads in the Menu bar.
- Locate the “Productivity Tools” section and click Download.
- Double-click the downloaded file to begin the installation process.
- Click Next to start the Wizard.
- Accept the EULA and click Next.
- Click Next to accept the default Destination Location.
- Click Yes when prompted to install the software by User Account Controls.
- Click Finish.
- At this stage, WebEx Assistant should pop up automatically asking for BCIT specific information. Enter “WebExuser.voip.bcit.ca” for the Site URL and click Next.
- At the next window, enter your default Email Address and your BCIT password.
- Select “Remember me” and “Automatically Sign In”. Click Sign In.
- If successful, you should see the following pop-up window and your web browser will open a “Welcome to WebEx Productivity Tools” page.
- Launch Outlook. Your Home tab should now display two new WebEx buttons.
The last setup to perform is to access WebEx from Jabber. This will not require any additional software installation but you will need to configure access to the WebEx services. Integrating WebEx with Jabber is optional again but it allows you to quickly Schedule new WebEx sessions, and Join previously scheduled ones with a single click.
- Launch Jabber if it isn’t running.
- Select Menu –> File –> Options.
- Select the Meetings tab and click Set up Account.
- The WebEx default site should already indicate “WebExuser.voip.bcit.ca”, simply click Edit.
- Enter your default email address and your usual BCIT password. Click OK.
- The Meetings tab should now show with the correct WebEx account information. Click OK.
- From now on, you will be able to Start (Join) WebEx sessions or schedule new ones from the Meetings view right from Jabber.
For additional information on installing these WebEx components or on how to use WebEx at BCIT, please contact the Technology Service Desk (604-412-7444 – option 1).